On November 1, the full version of Minecraft: Education Edition will be available to purchase. For educators interested in trying the new title in their classroom for free before purchasing, the early access version of Minecraft: Education Edition will still be available for free through November 1.Some key features appear to include:
- Classroom mode that:
- "enables educators to manage world settings"
- "communicate with students"
- give items and teleport students in the Minecraft world.
- list all students in the world
- world management settings with chat window
- Some neat additions that I had the chance to see at a recent Minecraft EDU:
- Leads and horses
- additional player skins
- pistons (wow)
You can find out more at the Minecraft Education web site. They have tons of great stuff there. While I haven't been much of a world builder in the past, family members who have spent time and effort love Minecraft. With all the neat stuff you can do (e.g. redstone), I can easily imagine that "Minecraft as a digital lego set" taking education by storm!
Everything posted on Miguel Guhlin's blogs/wikis are his personal opinion and do not necessarily represent the views of his employer(s) or its clients. Read Full Disclosure