TechInsight Series Feedback - Engaged and Motivated
Source: Joel VerDuin
Note: One of the main benefits of sharing what you know--and don't know--in a blog is that sometimes, folks will help you see your situation in a different way. I'm grateful to Dr. Joel VerDuin's comment on a blog entry. I hope that other readers will take a moment and join the conversation. I'm going to be studying the diagram Joel has put together for some time and asking, What does this mean in my situation?In response to the first in my series on Technology Insights, Dr. Joel VerDuin (@jverduin) shares the following observation and the image that appears at the top of this blog entry:
I like where you are going with this Miguel, but I would zoom the lens out a little wider and make the "infrastructure" one piece of about 8 total conditions that a new CTO should scan for.
The degree to which various stakeholders (sup't, board, various central admin, principals, teachers) have a similar vision for effective instruction
The amount of community engagement on the topic
The systems to support teachers and growing their proficiencies
A curriculum and instruction process that is focused on an expanded definition of what it means to be a learner today (ie how do we authentic learning experiences).
I have a graphic! (Because I was faced with this very task):
Joel's diagram is excellent because it does take a step back and reflects key issues. When I look at my list, it's obvious to me that it's less a big picture list as a list of projects I want to work through. From a CTO perspective, I like Joel's list better!
Here's a tweet from Joel with the link:
@mguhlin Please feel free to share the Google Doc: http://goo.gl/8Mu7hx - it has links to detail - thanks for all you do!
In case you missed it in the introduction, here's my list of topics.
- Conduct an environmental scan for all infrastructure. What do you have?
- Asset Management - How can you track it all and "age it" so you know when you're doing upgrades?
- Plan ahead for Bring Your Own Technology (BYOT) and 1 to 1 Initiatives (e.g. iPad/Chromebook) - Have you built up your infrastructure and addressed instructional practices?
- Budget Planning - What do your budget look like and how much can you count on from year to year?
- Communication - How are you communicating what the changes that need to happen, that have happened, or will happen to all stakeholders?
- Data Warehouse and Web Portal - How are you helping stakeholders see the data being collected by myriad of assessments and represent that in an easy to understand format? How can you avoid being data-rich, information poor (DRIP)?
- In the Cloud - What is your Voice Over Internet Protocol solution and how can you put that "in the cloud" to avoid exorbitant costs on in-house hosting? In fact, what other services can you move to the cloud to save funding?
- Business Operations - How can you facilitate streamlining of District services, including going paperless, flow of approval forms, purchasing, etc.?
View my Flipboard Magazine.
Make Donations via PayPal below:
Everything posted on Miguel Guhlin's blogs/wikis are his personal opinion and do not necessarily represent the views of his employer(s) or its clients. Read Full Disclosure