Note: These are absolutely questions that come up. In fact, I remember working through some of these--but not all--when we upgraded our internet bandwidth. What a great refresher!
10 essential questions to address when assessing WAN and LAN infrastructure:
- Transport pipe—Will the pipe that carries internet bandwidth be big enough?
- Routers, switches and hubs --Will your networking equipment handle all the traffic?
- Firewall--Can the Firewall handle the new upgrades?
- Filter—Is the filter designed to handle the amount of traffic?
- Demarcation point –Is there a clear demarcation point?
- Wiring—Is the wiring in the building up to standards for the new upgraded internet speed?
- Wiring Closets (MDF and IDF—Is there adequate heating, cooling and ventilation?
- Backbone—Does the school have a fiber backbone connecting MDF and IDF’s?
- Electricity—Is there adequate electricity in the wiring closets to sure all the upgraded hardware?
- POE—Are all the switches able to accommodate Power over Ethernet?