50 Reasons Your Students Don't Need to Print #iPad
|Adapted from some picture on the web|
Note: Title of blog entry inspired by this conversation between Rusty Meyners and Kristy Vincent, not to mention a chat with Apple rep Jennifer Spille who said, "A superintendent I know added up how much their district was saving on paper costs by going 1 to 1 with iPads." Hmm...seen The Story of Stuff video (smile)?The advent of new technologies sometimes eliminate other less effective, cumbersome technologies. In this case, iPad cuts paper out of the equation. Although you CAN print from an iPad, why would you want to? That's one of the workflows you have to change when considering tablets, or iPads.
According to a Citigroup-Environmental Defense study, the actual cost of printing is 13 to 31 times the purchase price of the paper used, or somewhere between $.06 and $.13 per page. At the low end of that range, the average employee’s printing costs the company $600 per year and at the high end $1,300. A substantial portion of this cost goes to pages employees never even intended to print. A study conducted by Lexmark found that an
average of 17% of everything printed was considered waste – pages the user didn’t want...
Printer ink costs about $10,000 a gallon – nearly 2,500 times the current “exorbitant” cost of gasoline – and toner cartridges and drums are not far behind.
Source: The Real Cost of PrintingThe question to ask oneself is, "How many educational, or creation apps, are there that enable you to share creations without having to rely on printing?" While there are a limited amount of ways to turn appcreations into your teacher--explore 7 Ways to Collect Work on an iPad--what apps are out there that take advantage of that?
Here's a quick list for fun:
- Adobe PhotoShop Express - modify pictures and then share many different ways.
- Algebra Solver - Lets you email work.
- AR Magic Mirror - create and share pictures created.
- Blogsy ($4.99) - create blog entries and upload photos/short videos to the web. I own this one and highly recommend it.
- Book Creator for ipad ($5.99)
- CamWow - Share pictures created with effects via email.
- Coach’s Eye ($4.99) - Shares videos created via email, cloud Storage like Dropbox.
- Comic Life ($4.99)
- Comic Strip ($.99)
- Create PDF ($9.99)
- DoodleBuddy - share via email
- DoodleCast ($1.99) -
- Drawing Pad
- Explain Everything
- Hello Crayons -
- FaceGoo Lite - Modify pictures and share them via email.
- Goodreader ($4.99)
- Idea Sketch
- Instant Poetry
- iThoughts HD
- iWorks suite (e.g. Keynote, Pages, Numbers) - Email or save work via WebDav
- Kabaam Comic Creator ($.99)
- Let’s Create! Pottery HD
- LipMe HD
- Fashion Fix HD
- Office2HD ($7.99) - Lets you open/save work on GoogleDocs, as well as cloud storage, as well as email.
- Morfo -
- Music for Little Mozarts
- PicCollage - Create collages and share them via email
- PicStitch - Create photo collages and share them via email
- PhotoPad -
- Popplet Lite -
- PuppetPals -
- ReaddleDocs ($4.99)
- ReelDirector ($1.99) -
- Sonicpics ($2.99)
- Songify -
- Story Kit
- StoryPatch ($2.99)
- Storyrobe ($.99)
- Strip Designer ($2.99)
- ToonTastic -
- TypeDrawing for iPad ($2.99)
- WeCam - Create and share videos easily via Twitter, email, etc.
- Vernier Video Physics
What apps would you add that eliminate paper in your teaching, learning and leading environment?
References for iPad apps
Get Blog Updates via Email!
Everything posted on Miguel Guhlin's blogs/wikis are his personal opinion and do not necessarily represent the views of his employer(s) or its clients. Read Full Disclosure