Below are notes shared by one of my colleagues who had the opportunity to attend and graciously shared them with me, just as I shared my notes regarding Lamar CISD's excellent presentation by Chris Nilsson on their iOS mobile device management approach. Another colleague sent me an email, and I wrote the following summary for them:
Airwatch is a mobile device management (MDM) tool that manages both iOS and Android. Fort Bend ISD (Texas) is adopting 16K iOS devices and is using that. Also, I don't recommend Kindle Fire or Nook Color tablet for an Android deployment. I had a network guy throw them on the table of a System Admin Academy, he was so frustrated with them as devices (he owned them).
Here's the notes from a meeting (a colleague shared them with me):
- MDM ... Fort Bend ISD is deploying 16,000 iOS devices and chose Air-Watch because it allows them to manage more than just one mobile OS (e.g. Android).
- Use approach where not necessary to take corporate responsibility for BYOD
- Users should have autonomy to create new processes and deliverables on any device
- Choice oriented ...
- Control oriented ... Guarantee service level agreements and security only
- What is the technology vs what is the experience you want?
- Use both district and individual owned device
- Access to "appropriate" data and systems
- April 2011 MDM Gartner report ... MDM comparison
- Sybase, good tech, airwatch, mobileiron.. Visionary and executer
- Fiberlink and zenprise ... Excellent and outstanding rating as well
- Key component for their decision was the deployment for apps ... Apps-only district?
- iAchieve Initiative ... Boutiquet of apps and resources that align to district developed curriculum... Every science teacher (770) gets cart with mac, touch, and ipads... 1 to 1 at 8th, 5-7 is 2-1 and 2-4 are 3-1... 16K ipads ... Project Cost is 13M
- Chose Airwatch MDM
Get Blog Updates via Email!
Everything posted on Miguel Guhlin's blogs/wikis are his personal opinion and do not necessarily represent the views of his employer(s) or its clients. Read Full Disclosure