#BYOD Issues RESOLVED with @Amazon #Kindle #Fire
A short time ago, you may recall this blog entry entitled, #BYOD Issues with @Amazon #Kindle #Fire. The main issue stemmed from the seeming inability of the Amazon Kindle Fire to connect to a school district's network. That problem has been resolved and it was NOT the Amazon Kindle Fire!
Here's the problem (as a refresher):
I have a couple Kindle Fire Tablets that we are experimenting with. I am unable to access the internet through our system. The Kindle will connect to the wireless access points and will get a valid IP address from the dhcp server. I can ping the Kindle and the network connected icon shows it is connected but there is an “X” below it indicating that it has no internet access. Sure enough, when I try to get to a website, no access. If I enter a static IP address, it zips right to the internet with no issues. I might add that I even used the same IP address that the dhcp server assigned when I entered it statically and it worked.
And, thanks to the school district, the solution:
It turns out it was a DNS issue. I have several DNS IP addresses I use. It’s a long story as to why but they are all necessary. Apparently Kindles and I’m sure a lot of other devices only accept one or two DNS IPs when set to DHCP. I’m basing that on the fact that if I enter the info statically, there are only boxes for two DNS settings. The DNS setting I was using when I set it up statically was actually 3rd on the DNS list at the DHCP server. When I moved the DNS that worked statically up to 1st on the list, everything started working as it should.
You can read the complete resolution of the issue--and the endorsement of the school district tech director who had to solve this--online at #BYOD Issues with @Amazon #Kindle #Fire.