Project SHARE Roundup from #sxswedu
The South by Southwest Festival is celebrating it’s twenty-fifth year (for music, and eighteenth year for interactive and film) by introducing Read Source) – An that will focus on educational technology and connecting with other educators in Austin, TX. (
Although travel and conferences are not allowed (I'm grounded), it is still possible to gather a lot using social media tools like Twitter. All you need to know is the hashtag to search on - #SXSWedu (RSS). And, you can find a list of sessions online.
"Sharing, and sharing online specifically, is not in addition to the work of being an educator. It is the work."
Some of the take-aways from Project SHARE:
- Get more details here and here
- See sample course in Epsilen: http://www.epsilen.com/crs/1114923
- Drop boxes are a good place to keep a large amount of course content because students frequent the area.
- The notes area can contain multiple types of media, are date and time stamped, and can be sent out to other course members via email, mobile phones, etc. Very clever system for having students keep up with their content. It could be used as a simple assessment of what students are learning. Have them take simple notes and send them to you.
- Forums - asynchronous so students don't feel pressure to be there at a certain time. Provides for student/student, student/content, and student/instructor interaction. Student to instructor interaction is very important in these areas. Research shows student to instructor interaction here is very powerful. If you are not participating in the discussions in your online classes, you are doing your students a disservice. Research shows that discussion forums are the most frequented areas of online courses in K-12 online learning, especially right before a test or when a project is due.
- "The promise of innovation, imagination, and the internet are captured within ProjectShare" - Ron Reeves
- Texas Tour 2.0 launching in Project Share this summer!
If you have more information worth sharing about Project SHARE, I hope you'll send it this way!
Update 03/9/2011: More about Project SHARE
- Check out PBS Teachers Activity Packs
- Inter and Accelerated Best Practices as live-blogged by TechChicks.net
Get Blog Updates via Email!
Everything posted on Miguel Guhlin's blogs/wikis are his personal opinion and do not necessarily represent the views of his employer(s) or its clients. Read Full Disclosure