MyNotes - HomeSchool in OK = More Online Learning Choices?
Education choice for Oklahoma's future | NewsOK.com
- Education choice for Oklahoma's future BY DAN LIPS Oklahoman 0 Published: February 5, 2011
- Oklahoma is fast becoming a national leader in offering families school choice, thanks to its charter schools and the new scholarship program for children with disabilities.
- Debates about school choice have focused on the critical challenge of helping kids trapped in bad schools transfer into better ones, whether by open enrollment, new charter schools, scholarships to attend private school and homeschooling.
- Future conversations are likely to be about customizing education to best suit children's individual learning styles and finding the right learning environment to let children reach their highest potential.
- Across the country, more than 1 million children are participating in various forms of online learning. These programs include full-time virtual schools, supplemental online courses and classroom-based online instruction.
- By harnessing the power of technology, students can be taught any time, anywhere by some of the best teachers in the world. They can learn at their own pace — progressing to new lessons when they excel or receiving additional instruction when they struggle. Classrooms of students can receive individualized, customized instruction with a teacher's support and supervision.
- The challenge for policymakers in Oklahoma and beyond is to implement policy reforms that will let families take full advantage of the best learning options for their children.
- Oklahoma should consider this approach to create a system of real parental choice and innovation to hasten the arrival of education's exciting future.
This message was sent to you by mguhlin via Diigo