Installing #SugarSync - Installation Tips and Improvement Suggestions
As nice as SugarSync is, there are some things it could do better. For example, the installation process of the file manager on Windows is problematic. It can lead to issues like synching file folders you don't want to sync.
After clicking through the standard installation options, note what happens when you run SugarSync...
Step 1 - Connect Your SugarSync install to your online account:
Step 2 - Select Your Favorite Icon to Represent your computer:
Step 3 - Setup Options - this is the area that can use some improvement.
The program here needs a bit more explanation. You are presented with two options; the best option is the Advanced area. Watch what happens when you select the "Express Setup" which should be avoided by newbies to storing data in the cloud:
Note the amount of content floating around and easily uploadable. My recommendation in this is to go with Advanced options rather than select your Desktop and your Documents folders, which would then throw everything you have out onto the web...This is problematic because if you have LOTS of content, you'll easily exceed the 5gigs allocated by SugarSync.
In fact, that's what caused this problem with a friend's machine. I prefer to choose advanced setup, and then you'll see a windows that allows you to add folders to be synched. I would create a special folder that you'll be sharing:
So, to summarize, here are my recommendations for using cloud storage apps like SugarSync and Dropbox:
- Create a special folder on your Desktop or somewhere that you are going to put things into sync. Avoid selecting existing folders with data because you'll undoubtedly exceed the capacity allocated to you from the cloud storage app (e.g. SugarSync is 5 gigs, Dropbox is 2 gigs).
- Only share content that you wouldn't mind seeing appear on the evening news. For example, I tend to put freeware/FOSS programs in my cloud storage because I can access it from anywhere. I never put confidential data in there unless it's encrypted first (e.g. Truecrypt volume, AxCrypt or PGP/GPG).
- Find out more about the undelete feature...if you accidentally sync data up to cloud storage, delete it locally, make sure you know how to undelete it on the cloud storage site.
IMPROVEMENT TIPS FOR SUGARSYNC DEVELOPERS
- Put the files as their own webpage so they can be embedded. This is great for audio/video.
- Clean up the install process so that it doesn't try to import your documents and desktop folders during the "Express Install"
- Allow me to manage ALL my computers via the Web, not just the one I'm on.
Of course, if you have File Manager running, you can right-click on the computer you want to remove and then have it go...
- What else? Leave your suggestion in the Comments.