GoogleApps for Education - Kern Kelly Preso
Podcast of his presentation will be online later.
The following are my terrible notes on Kern's preso on GoogleApps for Education...I take responsibility for inaccuracies, etc.:
- His session materials are online here.
- Start with the classroom first. Have students be part of the process of learning. If the attitude is, "Oh no, a window came up, Come save me teacher!" Then they are always going to be doing that. If the attitude is, "We're going to figure it out!" Learning is messy....
- The platform to be able to do that next level of thing...technology as a vehicle for learning, to have that conversation...every teacher, no matter the content/topic, do you have a problem learning tech stuff from your students? The response is "No problem, yeah sure, they know more than I do!"
- Bring students to presentations...when I get kids to present for other educators, it's great for them. Get this going in your district.
- Hardware (laptop in front of you) + Software (GoogleApps) = What happens next is magic.
- The difference between a GoogleApps account and a Gmail account. You have a closed system that is safe for your kids to be in, and another for others to be in. There's no perfect solution.
- What's the difference? In GoogleApps, in a domain, you have "total control."
- Google Ed Apps Ven Diagram:
- Admin Control (postini), Custom domain, Video
- Google Account: iGoogle, Picasa, Maps, Reader, Blogger, Bookmarks, GoogleVoice, YouTube
- Both: Gmail, GoogleDocs, GoogleSites, Calendar, Chat, Mobile, Groups
- R.S.U. #19 - 3,000 students in K-12 district in Central Maine. We use GoogleApps for grades K through 8 where we transitioned in....
- One login for many services
- Sharing and collaboration:
- Keep your work private.
- Collaborate with friends
- Publish for the world.
- Google in Education FAQ
- Legal FAQ http://principals.wikispaces.com/legal
- If you let these limit you, you have limited your kids' growth.
- Is Google Reliable? (Video) Arizona State University talks about Google...
- Shared Chorus Assessment Directions: http://sites.google.com/site/svmschorus/home/assessment
Subscribe to Around the Corner-MGuhlin.org
Everything posted on Miguel Guhlin's blogs/wikis are his personal opinion and do not necessarily represent the views of his employer(s) or its clients. Read Full Disclosure